Fall Movie Preview: October 2012

You know what weird about this coming October? Not a lot of splatter films. That is certainly not a complaint; I'm just used to it being a dumping-ground month for disposable horror flicks. We're not completely free of them, of course, but they are noticeably scarce. What does that leave in their places? Some pretty weird stuff. Witness:

October 5:

Butter: Jennifer Garner enters a butter-carving contest at a state fair. That subject is so odd. Toss Ty Burrell and Hugh Jackman into the cast, and it becomes even more intriguing. (Rental)

Frankenweenie: A mad scientist kid resurrects his dead dog, creating mayhem in the neighborhood. It's basically a cross between Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas, and unless audiences love it, I think I'll stick with those two movies. (Pass)

The Oranges: Leighton Meester has a crush on Hugh Laurie, who is her best friend's father. I love Hugh Laurie, but this doesn't sound promising. (Pass)

The Paperboy: The director of Precious sets forth Nicole Kidman as a sexpot who manipulates Zac Efron and Matthew McConaughey into helping her spring her pal John Cusack out of jail. Despite my newfound admiration for McConaughey, this is the very definition of a wait-and-see movie. (TBD)

Pitch Perfect: Speaking of movies that are perfect for the sneak-some-booze-into-the-Esquire treatment! Anna Kendrick is lured into a female a capella group on her college campus, and shakes things up by refusing to be all traditional and boring and shit. It's not that I think it'll be quality cinema. But it'll be entertaining as hell. (Must-See)


Sinister: Another found-footage horror movie based on a family moving into a cursed house. I hope Ethan Hawke got a nice paycheck for being in it, but I won't be contributing to it. (Pass)

Sister: This movie is what Switzerland is putting into contention for a Best Foreign Language Oscar this year. A brother supports his titular sibling by stealing from rich folks at a ski resort. Let's see what the reviews have to say. (TBD)

Taken 2: Saw the first one. Liked it. But that was plenty. (Pass)

Wuthering Heights: I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've never read the book, which I feel like I must do before seeing the movie. (Rental or Pass)

October 12:

3,2,1...Frankie Go Boom: A guy whose life is ruined by a viral video hides out for a while, and is brought back into society by his manipulative brother. It has Lizzy Caplan and Chris O'Dowd, which is very promising. I'm hopeful for this one. (TBD)

Argo: Ben Affleck directs a Oscar-buzzy film about a 1979 rescue mission to get some Americans out of Iran. I listen to a lot of movie podcasts, and a lot of talk is already flying about this. It stars people I like, is a fascinating historical topic, and has all the makings of a truly exciting story. So why am I so suspicious about this movie? I don't really know. It's likely I'll see this, just so I can stay in fighting weight for the Oscar pool competition. (Must-See, but possibly in Rental form)

Atlas Shrugged Part 2: Hehe. This one comes fully-stocked with schadenfreudic delight. The first Atlas Shrugged sang the praises of Ayn Rand's disgusting philosophies about how the free market should rule all, and completely tanked. So the filmmakers ignored the free market and went ahead and made this. I'll be waiting with a Nelsonesque "HA-ha!" when this one tanks, too. (Pass)

Here Comes the Boom: Kevin James was genuinely likable on The King of Queens, so I don't know why he insists on making such horrible movies. Does the plot of this latest brainless comedy even matter? (Pass)

Middle of Nowhere: When her husband is sentenced to 8 years in prison, Rudy drops out of med school in order to focus on her husband's well being while he's incarcerated - leading her on a journey of self-discovery in the process. Hmm. I'll check out the reviews, but it's likely I'll let this one slip by. (Pass)

Nobody Walks: John Krasinski is the father of a wealthy family who volunteers to help the art student (Olivia Thrilby) who lives in their pool house finish her film. Naturally, complications ensue. Lena Dunham co-wrote this, and I'm not a huge fan of hers, but I could be persuaded into seeing it if I hear enough good things. (TBD)

Seven Psychopaths: Colin Farrell and Sam Rockwell are pals, and steal a dog from a mob boss, played by Woody Harrelson, who promises bloody revenge. This was directed by the same guy who did In Bruges, so it's likely to be too gory for my tastes. (Pass)

Smashed: This one has been on my radar for a while. Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Paul play a couple who share a fondness for getting drunk together. When the drinking develops into a career-jeopardizing issue, they have to make drastic changes to their behavior and relationship. It looks like a really quality movie, but not one I need to catch in theaters. (Rental)

October 17:

Holy Motors: A man travels between multiple parallel lives, and apparently kidnaps Eva Mendes along the way. I have no idea how to feel about this. (TBD)

October 19:

Alex Cross: Tyler Perry, Action Hero! Limecrete, Movie Skipper! (Pass)

Killing Them Softly: Brad Pitt is a hitman who tracks a couple of guys who rob a poker game run by the mob. It seems like a pretty by-the-numbers movie, and doesn't particularly interest me. (Pass)

The Loneliest Planet: Gael Garcia Bernal goes backpacking with his fiancee, and in the most remote corners of the globe, their relationship begins to fray, all of this is witnessed by the guide they have hired. This movie sounds pretty interesting, but I wish I had more to judge on. If I hear enough good things about it, I'll toss it on the Netflix queue. (Rental)

Not Fade Away: Three New Jersey teenagers are inspired by a Rolling Stones show and form a band. The only other information Entertainment Weekly gives is that David Chase is directing it, and James Gandolfini plays one of the teens' fathers. (Pass)

Paranormal Activity 4: You know all that budget horror that went on in the first three movies in this franchise? It's more of that. (Pass)

October 26:

The Big Wedding: Robert DeNiro and Diane Keaton are a divorced couple who pretend they're still married for their son's wedding. Katherine Heigl and Robin Williams are also in this, which makes all sorts of comedy-warning-bells go off in my head. This sounds like a scenery-chewing disaster in the making. (Pass)

Chasing Mavericks: Gerard Butler is a surfing mentor. No, thanks. (Pass)

Cloud Atlas: Critics can't say enough about this labyrinthine movie. And when I say that, I don't mean that everyone likes it; they just can't stop talking about it. Six interwoven storylines across genres, time periods, and locales make this difficult to describe. And it's made all the more difficult by actors playing multiple roles. Even though it's got prestige written all over it, I may have to let this play out a bit before I decide to see it. (TBD)

The Sessions: John Hawkes is confined to iron lung for 21 hours a day, and in a bid to lose his virginity, hires Helen Hunt as a sex surrogate. I've already heard good things about the performances, but the people praising the acting have been noticeably silent about the movie itself. This one's a tough sell. (TBD)

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D Nope. (Pass)

October TBA:

The First Time: Two teens meet at a party and fall in love. That's the entire plot summary on Wikipedia, and despite some guesses that it'll premiere on the 19th, it doesn't seem to have a set release date. Sure sounds promising, doesn't it? (Pass)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Slice of Lime