2012 Fall Tv Preview: Monday

Aww, does someone have a case of the Mondays? I know what'll help! Let us all bask in television's warm glowing warming glow. Or, after seeing what's on tap for the upcoming season, let's not. At least there's one exception that will bring the entertainment: Bring back...my girls.

Castle - Season 5 (ABC - 9-10PM - premieres September 24):

As with The Mentalist, it's a perfectly serviceable crime procedural, but nothing I feel the need to seek out. Besides, I'd feel the need to watch seasons 2 through 4 before starting this one, and that's just not going to happen anytime soon.

Revolution - Season 1 (NBC - 9-10PM - premieres September 17):

Another "event" show from executive producer J.J. Abrams. This one takes place 15 years after some catastrophe has disabled all forms of power on the planet. I don't want to entirely dismiss a show I've never seen, but this one already has a few strikes against it. I've already mentioned that I find Abrams extremely overrated, as he tends to develop high-concept shows, then loses interest in them almost immediately, leading them to devolve into confusing messes. Word of mouth from people who have watched the first episode is not good. And the heroine walks around with a bow and arrow, because Earth losing all its power sources means that guns don't work now? Or something? It's likely I'll just pass on this show, and circle back around to it later if it becomes some cultural touchstone. I'll take my chances.

90210 - Season 4 (CW - 7-8PM - premieres October 8):

A lot of the shows up for discussion can be summed up in a few words that mean I'm not interested. Case in point: Teen drama.

Bones - Season 8 (Fox - 7-8PM - premieres September 17):

Another case in point: Serviceable crime procedural.

How I Met Your Mother - Season 8 (CBS - 7-7:30PM - premieres September 24):

I generally like this show, but I'm several seasons behind. It's going to take me a while to catch up, so I don't envision seeing this season until some undetermined future date.

Dancing With the Stars: All Stars - Season 1 (ABC - 7-9PM - premieres September 24):

Ew. No.

Partners - Season 1 (CBS - 7:30-8PM - premieres September 24):

This one has me curious. It's from the Kohan/Mutchnick team that brought us Will & Grace, and stars David Krumholtz and Michael Urie as childhood friends who now work together and must navigate their respective romantic relationships. Sure, it has the potential to be painfully obnoxious, but I like Krumholtz, I like Urie, and I like Brandon Routh (who stars as Urie's partner). It's certainly worth a try, and at least I can be certain that it can't possibly be anywhere near as awful as The New Normal.


The Voice - Season 3 (NBC - 7-9PM - premiered September 10):

I like some reality shows, but singing competitions are not among them. From what I've seen, this is easily the least annoying of the bunch, but not to the point that I'll be sitting and watching it.

2 Broke Girls - Season 2 (CBS - 8-8:30PM - premieres September 24):

I saw a couple of the first season episodes and didn't like them, so I will continue my blissful ignorance of this show. Be sure to let me know how people having different accents is, like, totally hilarious.

Gossip Girl - Season 6 (CW - 8-9PM - premieres October 8):

Teen drama.

The Mob Doctor - Season 1 (Fox - 8-9PM - premieres September 17):

The concept is interesting (a woman who must pay her debt to the mob by providing medical care), but advance reviews have not been kind. Maybe I'll give it an episode or two, but I'm not very excited about it.

Mike & Molly - Season 3 (CBS - 8:30-9PM - premieres September 24):

I've never seen this show, and what's more, I've never met anyone that has. Is it good? Is it bad? Is it just a series of uninspired fat jokes? Is it saved by Melissa McCarthy? I just don't know, and I don't think I'll be able to jump in on the third season to find out.

Hawaii Five-0 - Season 3 (CBS - 9-10PM - premieres September 24):

Another one I've never laid eyes on, and so I can't just begin with the third season and hope to know what the hell is going on. I'm afraid this will just have to be one of those shows I either shotgun years after the fact or wind up missing altogether.

That does it for Entertainment Weekly round-up of Mondays, and you'll note there isn't a single show I'm interested in seeing, except maybe Partners, and even that is up in the air. However, Entertainment Weekly doesn't report on many cable shows; just network stuff. And there is a Monday show that they overlooked that I will most certainly be parked in front of the screen for.

RuPaul's Drag Race: All-Stars - Season 1 (Logo - 8-9PM - premieres October 22):

Ooh, girl! You've got She-Mail! The past two seasons of this show have been phenomenally entertaining, and not only is there a new season on the horizon, but it incorporates many of my favorite past contestants, like Manila Luzon, Pandora Boxx, Latrice Royale, and Jujubee. The hardest part of watching this show will be deciding who to root for.

STRATEGY

Not as easy as it sounds. I don't get Logo, so I go over to a friend's house to watch RuPaul's Drag Race. That sucks up more than just the running time of the show, so there may not be much time to watch much else on Mondays. Thankfully, the rest of the Monday schedule looks eminently missable. If Partners turns out to be good, maybe I'll be able to stream it after it airs. If not, it may turn into a How I Met Your Mother style show, in that I'll just catch up with it later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Slice of Lime