Fall Movie Preview: September 2013

Typing out all of the movies that Entertainment Weekly outlines in their preview issues is, frankly, exhausting. And not just physically exhausting, either. It takes a lot of mental effort to work up the will to summarize bargain basement slasher flicks and Taylor Lautner vehicles that I know I'm never going to give a second thought to.

So rather than go through the rigmarole of listing every movie slated for release this month, I think I'll just get a blurb down for the ones that have an outside chance of snagging me. Sorry to all of those heavy metal fans I'm doubtless disappointing by not lining up now for my ticket to Metallica Through the Never.

September 6

Populaire: I've mentioned this one before, but I guess the release date got pushed back. I'm still pretty interested in it, although I'd have no issue with waiting until it's available for rental.

Touchy Feely: I went back and forth on including this one on the list. It's directed by Lynn Shelton, who also made the vastly overrated Humpday. If this film is too mumblecore-y, I'm almost certain to loathe it. On the other hand, its premise (a massage therapist develops an aversion to touching other people, while her brother acquires a seemingly healing power of touch) is intriguing, and it includes Rosemarie DeWitt, Ellen Page, and Allison Janney in the cast, all of whom I generally enjoy. So, I'm not sure. Seeing this will essentially come down to an internal coin flip.

September 20

Thanks for Sharing: There are lot of "TBD" movies in September, and this one certainly continues that trend. It's a comedy about a group of people trying to cope with sex addiction, so there's a lot of room for this movie to be a total disaster. The cast is a mixed bag, too - it includes Mark Ruffalo, Tim Robbins, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Josh Gad. It looked interesting enough to catch my attention, but I have no idea if it'll keep it long enough for me to sit down and watch it. A review or two will probably tip the scales one way or the other.

A Single Shot: When a girl is shot during Sam Rockwell's hunting trip, he and a group of backwater criminals enter into a tense game of cat and mouse. I'm unsure whether it's Rockwell or another character who fires the fatal bullet, but this movie has the potential to be a nicely suspenseful thriller. I'll need to hear more about it.

Enough Said: It's a shame that the traction this movie is getting is mostly due to James Gandolfini's recent death, when there seems to be a lot more going on with it. It was Gandolfini's only romantic comedy. It costars Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Catherine Keener. The director (Nicole Holofcener) has done some really strong, smart films and TV episodes. While I wouldn't mind seeing it in the theater, this more seems like a good rainy-Sunday-afternoon rental kinda movie.


September 27

Don Jon: As with Populaire, I've already described this movie, which is the only real "Must-See" of the month.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2: I should be skeptical of this, because slapping a "2" on the end of an animated movie usually just means that it's a boring, lazy cash grab. I have no desire to dive into Despicable Me 2 (or God forbid, Smurfs 2), so why should this one be any different? Well, the original book is a cherished childhood favorite. Also, the first movie came out of nowhere, and was ten times more entertaining than I expected it to be. It's entirely possible that this sequel won't be able to capture lightning in a bottle again, but I don't want to repeat my mistake of dismissing it out of hand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Slice of Lime