Queen Takes Yawn

I've been cooling on reality shows lately, but there are still a couple I can get excited about. One, unsurprisingly, involves gorgeously-shot baked goods. And the other is RuPaul's Drag Race, which I consistently enthuse about here. Though I'm not very into drag culture in my day-to-day life, I love the show, and have never said a bad thing about it. It's even landed on my Top 5 of the year. I missed Season 6, so I was primed to jump into the fun and glamor and shade of Season 7.

Sweet Manila Luzon, what happened? I could just about understand it if this show had a bad season, but can't come up with a convincing excuse for how this turned out to be so... goddamn... boring. The challenges weren't very different, and the replacements on the judging panel were a welcome change, so it would seem clear what went wrong. Either the world has run out of interesting drag queens, or whoever was in charge of casting this season is on a heavy dose of Xanax.


If I had to single any of them out for praise, it would be Katya, who almost single-handedly elevated the season, but a single queen can only do so much. Everyone else was either fine-but-not-terribly-remarkable (Violet and Ginger) or so dull they don't even merit mention (everyone else).

Every show has bumps in the road. And the great ones are allowed a couple before they fall off my radar. So while I'll no doubt be tuning in for Season 8, this year's wad of blah needs to sashay away.

RuPaul's Drag Race - Season 7: C+

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Slice of Lime