Guilty Pleasure: Hocus Pocus

With a lot of guilty pleasures, we are accursed to suffer in silence. Who will sit and watch Midnight Madness with me? Not many. But some guilty pleasures catch on with a mass audience, and we can revel in the wretched glory together.

Halloween is almost upon us, which means for it's time for the 1993 movie Hocus Pocus to light up our television screens. Is it fine cinema? It is not. But I love it unironically, and each year, I learn of legions and legions of other fans who also can't get enough of the Sanderson sisters.


I'm not sure why this is. There isn't much to the story, or the acting, or the production design, or the script, or anything. But it's such silly fun, I can't help but get swept up in the enthusiasm. Hocus Pocus gets me into the Halloween mood faster than any Friday the 13th movie ever could, and I don't have to worry about averting my eyes for any gory bits. Best of all, it has contributed a quote that works wonders in the daily lexicon.

So get out there and light some black flame candles, you virgins. I put a spell on you. Soon you will join me in my inexplicable love for this cheese-fest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Slice of Lime