Save the Date: The Hunger Games

Event: The Hunger Games Release Date
Date: Friday, March 23

Agatha Christie wrote many great mysteries, but my favorite is And Then There Were None. Ten people, trapped on an island. All of them have gotten away with murder, and now someone is evening the score by murdering them one by one. I've been fascinated by this story ever since I first read it. Who would be next? What methods would the doomed employ to evade their unknown attacker?

From then on, I've always been a fan of the one-by-one winnowing of a group of characters, from Series 7: The Contenders to Harper's Island to The Hunger Games. Mass popularity only struck for that last one, and now the book that kicked off the trilogy has been made into a movie.



The story of the The Hunger Games, in which the protagonist volunteers in her sister's place to be sent to an arena, where she will fight to the death against other young children, is just as fascinating as the others I've mentioned, though you'd never know it from the trailer. Often, a book's story will be lost in translation, and I worry that the film will concentrate less on the intelligence and bravery of a girl desperately trying to stay alive than on all that blooming romance nonsense. Heartfelt conversations about making an impression and staying true to yourself are all well and good, but let's not forget this movie is called The Hunger Games, not Sensitive Girl Learns A Valuable Life Lesson.

Those worries aren't enough to keep me away. I'll definitely be grabbing my ticket for this first film. There are two more books, though. If Hollywood screws this up, I'll show them what getting rid of characters looks like. May the odds be ever in their favor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Slice of Lime