The State of the Art: Television 2023

It seems that television and books have swapped places this year. In 2022, there were several books that I loved, but on the whole, TV was entertaining, but not terribly exciting. This year, it was tough to find a book that grabbed my attention (though fortunately it happened), but TV was terrific. If there's an overarching theme to my experiences with television this year, it's that there's just no way to stay current, and I'll always be playing catch-up, even with shows I love. I'll absolutely get to the current seasons of Minx, The Bear, Julia, What We Do in the Shadows, Severance, Somebody Somewhere, etc. But there was absolutely no way to squeeze it all in.


Picking a favorite show is actually pretty agonizing this year. I could make an argument for any of a handful of shows taking the top spot, but ultimately I had to pick one. If you're looking for recommendations, though, there are plenty to choose from here. When picking a favorite, I took a few aspects into account: Obviously, it had to be a show that I loved, but there was only one show that I couldn't stop myself from bingeing. It stars actors I love in other properties. It has a sense of mystery and wonder without jumping up its own ass. I also like highlighting a show that didn't get a lot of attention, so my favorite television show of 2023 has to be:




The Big Door Prize. Never heard of it? You're not alone. I think I first heard this mentioned as a throwaway "here's what I've been watching" kind of comment on one of the podcasts I listen to, and it sounded intriguing enough to check out. Thank goodness I did, because this show is utterly fascinating.


If you've ever read the Machine of Death books (which are great, by the way), you're familiar with the concept of a mysterious machine that shows up without explanation and dispenses information that fundamentally changes people. Instead of informing the townsfolk of how they're going to die, though, the machine in The Big Door Prize gives them a word or phrase that promises to encapsulate their true potential. That sounds less dramatic than mode of death, but upon reading what the universe has decided you can be if you applied yourself, what sort of changes would you make in your life? What if the card is confusing? What if it's upsetting? What if it indicates you'll never be anything more than what you are right now, despite your ambitions? What if embracing your potential means you'll be forced to give up something that you love in the present?


I love a good dose of magical realism when it's done well, and this show does it beautifully. It's acted impeccably, it packs an emotional wallop while still being funny, weaves together a terrific overall story told from multiple points of view, and it spurs a lot of self-reflection about the kinds of people we are and who we want to be. I'm thrilled that it's been renewed for a Season 2.

While we wait for that, though, let's get to the year's full list!


The Big Door Prize (Season 1) (2023) (A)
Schmigadoon! (Season 2) (2023) (A)
Only Murders in the Building (Season 3) (2023) (A)
Poker Face (Season 1) (2023) (A)


The Other Two (Season 3) (2023) (A-)
Scott Pilgrim Takes Off (Season 1) (2023) (A-)
A Black Lady Sketch Show (Season 4) (2023) (A-
Never Have I Ever (Season 3) (2022) (A-)
The Afterparty (Season 1) (2022) (A-)

Harley Quinn (Season 4) (2023) (B+)
Never Have I Ever (Season 4) (2023) (B+)
Survival of the Thickest (Season 1) (2023) (B+)
Bodies (Season 1) (2023) (B+)
Extraordinary (Season 1) (2023) (B+)
Abbott Elementary (Season 2) (2023) (B+)
Schmigadoon! (Season 1) (2021) (B+)
Fright Krewe (Season 1) (2023) (B+)
Julia (Season 1) (2022) (B+)
Insecure (Season 1) (2016) (B+)
Somebody Somewhere (Season 1) (2022) (B+
Girls5Eva (Seasons 1-2) (2021-2022) (B+)
Jury Duty (Season 1) (2023) (B+)

Ted Lasso (Season 1) (2020) (B)
Harriet the Spy (Season 1) (2021) (B)
Cunk on Earth (Season 1) (2023) (B)
Bob's Burgers (Season 14) (2023) (B) [still airing]
Bob's Burgers (Season 13) (2023) (B)
Black Mirror (Season 6) (2023) (B)
Beef (Season 1) (2023) (B)
Central Park (Season 1) (2020) (B
The Great British Baking Show (Season 14) (B)
Unicorn: Eternal Warriors (Season 1) (2023) (B)

Futurama (Season 11) (2023) (B-)
Clone High (Season 2) (2023) (B-)
Indian Matchmaking (Season 3) (2023) (B-)
Fired on Mars (Season 1) (2023) (B-)

The Changeling (Season 1) (2023) (C+)
And Just Like That (Season 1) (2021) (C+)
Muscles & Mayhem: An Unauthorized Story of American Gladiators (Season 1) (2023) (C+)
Up Here (Season 1) (2023) (C)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Slice of Lime