The British Invasion

What I'm Watching: Sherlock - Season 2

British programming has always held a lot of allure for me, but nothing much has grabbed my attention and held it in the last few years. Until, that is, Downton Abbey arrived and blew my socks off. And then, right on the heels of that, came the first season of Sherlock, which at least made my socks tingle. I thoroughly enjoyed those three episodes, and made plans to settle in for Season 2.

Which started tonight! As with the first season, there are only three episodes total, but at ninety minutes each, there's plenty of Holmes to go around. "A Scandal in Belgravia" introduces the famous Irene Adler character to this particular series, and she's been updated into a dominatrix that serves the wealthy and powerful, and as such, is in possession of a lot of sensitive secrets.


The episode takes a lot of twists and turns. Maybe even too many; several characters have plans in play, and there's almost no end to the you-thought-I-was-doing-this-but-AHA!-it's-actually-something-else plot threads. Still, Lara Pulver imbues Irene Adler with danger, intelligence, and simmering sexuality, and she plays off of the main cast incredibly well.

Next week is perhaps the most famous Sherlock tale of all, "The Hound of the Baskervilles". Can you deduce where I'll be at 8 PM?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Slice of Lime